Thursday, January 03, 2008

Taking It Further

The first challenge for Taking It Further was posted on Monday (January 1st down under). Unfortunately, Monday and Tuesday I spent in bed with a fever, so didn't see it until Wednesday. We are to do someone we admire. I've been pondering this one. Deeply. I realized I don't tend to admire people. Well, that isn't totally true. I admire a pair of shoes, the turn of a leg, the grace of certain individuals, but to grow up to want to be like someone?

There are only two people in my life that have had that kind of impact on me. One was my grandfather, the other was my mother. When I was young, I wanted nothing more than to grow up to be like my mother, now I barely remember what she was like.



The other person was my grandfather--a gentle man with a kind word for everyone, a ready smile and a warm heart. I think that is where my mother got those same attributes.



My grandmother was the fiesty one. Like me, we made up for small stature with fierce natures. I often wish I had turned out kind and soft-spoken like my mother, but I didn't.

I could also use my daughter, Elizabeth.



More than anyone in my life she has the best of both attributes. She is soft-spoken when she needs to be, but fierce as well. Already at 20, she has faced down the biggest scare of breast surgery and won. What a woman.

Now to chose which to do and how to do it!